top of page
Family in the Park


What is Family Sponsorship?

As a Canadian resident, you may be able to sponsor your spouse, common law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent children to come to Canada if you:

  • Are a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.

    • You must be a permanent resident living in Canada to be eligible.

    • If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.

    • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.

  • Are able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability.

  • Can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor.


Recent update: On May 26, 2023, the Honourable Sean Fraser, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship announced faster temporary resident visa (TRV) processing and more considerate application measures so that families can be together sooner and while they wait for their permanent residence to be finalized.

Family At Church
Image by Kelly Sikkema
Gay Couple with their Daughter
bottom of page