top of page
Checking the Crops

Work Permits

Types of Work Permits

There are 2 types of work permits:

Closed (Employer Specific) Work Permit:

A Closed Work Permit means it is "closed" to a specific employer.

An employer-specific work permit allows you to work according to set conditions, which can include:

  • the name of the employer you can work for

  • how long you can work

  • the location where you can work

  • the hours and wage of your job

Employer specific work permits are the most common type of work permits issued by IRCC. To be eligible, you will need an offer of employment from an employer with a valid LMIA or a qualifying LMIA exempt job offer.

Open Work Permit:

 Open Work Permits are not tied to an employer, and typically allow the worker to work:

  • for any or multiple employers

  • in any occupation

  • at any wage

  • at any location(s)

Open work permits are issued under a variety of circumstances and allow for flexibility for both employer and employee. You may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

  • have graduated from a designated learning institution

  • are the spouse of a skilled worker or international student

  • you or a family member have applied for permanent residence

  • or meet one of these requirements

Temporary policy: As of June 27, 2023, foreign workers in Canada can seek additional training and education that can help them in their careers. With this new 3-year temporary measure, foreign workers can study full time or part time while their work permits are valid or until the expiration of the policy, with no restrictions on the length of the program. This temporary measure applies to those who hold a valid work permit or who have submitted an application to renew their work permit on or before June 7, 2023, and are authorized to work.

Farming Leafy Greens
Engineers at work
Team work
bottom of page