top of page
Students in Library

Study Permits

What is a Study Permit?

A Study Permit is a document that is issued to Foreign Nationals that allows you to study at a Designated Learning Institution in Canada.


Your Study Permit is not a visa. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If your study permit is approved, you will usually be issued a visitor visa or eTA at the same time.

Temporary policy: From November 15, 2022, until December 31, 2023, international students who are in Canada and who have off-campus work authorization on their study permit will not be restricted by the 20-hour-per-week rule. Foreign nationals who have already submitted a study permit application, as of October 7, 2022, will also be able to benefit from this temporary change, provided their application is approved.


Eligibility Requirements

  • Be enrolled at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)

  • Prove that you have enough funds to pay your tuition fees and living expenses for you and any family member who may be joining you.

  • Have no criminal record (a police certificate may be required)

  • Are in good health (a medical exam may be required)

  • Prove that you will leave Canada when your Study Permit expires

Studying in Garden

Required Documents

  • Acceptance letter from the institution where you plan to study.

  • Proof of identity, such as a valid passport or travel document.

  • Proof of financial support.

Studying Together

Additional Documents

  • Letter explaining why you want to study in Canada and understand your responsibilities as a student.

  • Custodian declaration (minors only) signed by your parents or legal guardian.

bottom of page